So, awhile back on FB I did a top 5 love movies, and it was rather controversial the movies I selected. I figured I would expand and do a top 10 Black Love movies. Now remember, this MY TOP 10, so don't go hatin...make your own list, but certainly enjoy mine.
Ready? Leggooo
10. Mo' Betta Blues: Simply because it is when I REALLY fell in love with Denzel Washington! The Mo' Betta makes it Mo' Betta baby! The Element of Jazz, Love, Friendship and Betrayal in a very good movie. Also, note, Shadow Henderson (Wesley Snipes) knows how to LAY IT DOWN!
9. Boomerang: Those of you who REALLY know me, knows that I for one, watched this movie EVERY SINGLE DAY for an entire summer in 1994, and I wanted to be the next Jacqueline Broyer. Robin Givens was my pseudo idol. I blame her for why I'm single today, too busy trying to be an executive and female playa all at the same time! lol
8. The Best Man: Although I don't consider this a movie about love technically, I suppose it really is centered around love. I saw it as a movie of friendship, and at the end realizing grabbing on to love.
7. The Wood: Can you say puppy love all the way through. That is the best love, when you have loved someone since middle school. Movies of young love are always a winner.
6. Love & Basketball: Although, I can not stand to watch this movie now, when it came out, I LOVED THIS MOVIE! Same thing, anything with young love and loving someone practically your entire life, these are the stories that get me.
Okay ya'll here is MY TOP FIVE:
5. Baby Boy: A good hood love flick is always needed. Jody and Y'vette had THE BEST on screen chemistry. You were convinced Tyrese and Taraji boned in real life or that they really should be together. Not only that, how many couples do you know in real life like those two....hell maybe you were in a hood ass relationship.
4. Just Wright: This movie just came out and has already catapulted it's way into my top 5! Because FOREVER, I am the "friend" to all the homies back home that no one ever wanted to date, but my cousin (yes you Ebonie) had ALLLLLL the men. So simply because I could relate to Queen Latifah in that men just see you as the homie, can NEVER get any real play. Common played a good role, such a gentleman, but I hate seeing Queen Latifah kiss any other rappers (Common, LL Cool J) gross!
3. Brown Sugar: Again, they grew up loving each other and Hip Hop. Most people say that this movie is just Love & Basketball, just with hip hop, and I would have to agree, but because I don't have an athletic bone in my body, I can relate more to this movie since I AM HIP HOP!!!
2. Lady Sings The Blues: Now, although this movie is about Billie Holiday and her struggle with heroin, Billy Dee Williams will forever set the standard (in my eyes) of how to love a woman unconditionally. He proposed to her when she was in jail, and doped up on drugs. THAT IS LOVE! If a man can love me through a drug addiction--whew....that is a REAL MAN!
1. Love Jones: Come on now, really do I need to justify how effin sexy, alluring, sensual, romantic and awesome this movie is and will forever be? It will take one helluva movie to knock Love Jones out the box for me.
So tell me, what is your top 10?
Ready? Leggooo
10. Mo' Betta Blues: Simply because it is when I REALLY fell in love with Denzel Washington! The Mo' Betta makes it Mo' Betta baby! The Element of Jazz, Love, Friendship and Betrayal in a very good movie. Also, note, Shadow Henderson (Wesley Snipes) knows how to LAY IT DOWN!
8. The Best Man: Although I don't consider this a movie about love technically, I suppose it really is centered around love. I saw it as a movie of friendship, and at the end realizing grabbing on to love.
7. The Wood: Can you say puppy love all the way through. That is the best love, when you have loved someone since middle school. Movies of young love are always a winner.
Okay ya'll here is MY TOP FIVE:
5. Baby Boy: A good hood love flick is always needed. Jody and Y'vette had THE BEST on screen chemistry. You were convinced Tyrese and Taraji boned in real life or that they really should be together. Not only that, how many couples do you know in real life like those two....hell maybe you were in a hood ass relationship.
4. Just Wright: This movie just came out and has already catapulted it's way into my top 5! Because FOREVER, I am the "friend" to all the homies back home that no one ever wanted to date, but my cousin (yes you Ebonie) had ALLLLLL the men. So simply because I could relate to Queen Latifah in that men just see you as the homie, can NEVER get any real play. Common played a good role, such a gentleman, but I hate seeing Queen Latifah kiss any other rappers (Common, LL Cool J) gross!
3. Brown Sugar: Again, they grew up loving each other and Hip Hop. Most people say that this movie is just Love & Basketball, just with hip hop, and I would have to agree, but because I don't have an athletic bone in my body, I can relate more to this movie since I AM HIP HOP!!!
2. Lady Sings The Blues: Now, although this movie is about Billie Holiday and her struggle with heroin, Billy Dee Williams will forever set the standard (in my eyes) of how to love a woman unconditionally. He proposed to her when she was in jail, and doped up on drugs. THAT IS LOVE! If a man can love me through a drug addiction--whew....that is a REAL MAN!
1. Love Jones: Come on now, really do I need to justify how effin sexy, alluring, sensual, romantic and awesome this movie is and will forever be? It will take one helluva movie to knock Love Jones out the box for me.
So tell me, what is your top 10?










I agree with your number one pick. Love Jones is such a classic
ReplyDeleteThank you!! I can't believe you've actually seen the movie, you non-movie watcher! lol
ReplyDeleteI agree with your picks but my top 5are:
ReplyDelete5. The Wood
4. Brown Sugar
3. Love&Basketball
2.LoveJones
1.THE BEST MAN
Tennille
LOL, Tennille, I know you love the Best Man! No Question! So, is it true that they're suppose to make a sequel?
ReplyDelete