Skip to main content

Job Chronicles: I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T she got her own job, her own car, her own hair...wait, what?

-->
Sandy came and Sandy went.  Glad it wasn’t bad for me as it has been for others.  Thank you Lord. 


Okay, now back to the grind…

Before I go on…I must address the critics. 

I have friends/family members who like to email or text me with “oh you misspelled a word in your blog.”  Or , “your subject verb agreement was off.”  

Okay, first, thank you for reading my blogs, which I ‘preciate. I really started doing this just as “something to do” and it still is just something to do. 

When I write, I don’t stop to correct shit…I just keep going.  It is my outlet.  I don’t do drugs, I don’t work out, I’m not an alcoholic…okay well, not in the Alcoholic Anonymous definition, so, what I may have one, two drinks, now I’m an alcoholic? 


but anyways, writing is my outlet.  So there may be some messed up grammar, may be some incorrect words…. and if you want to be my editor, by all means, knock yourself out.  I know deep down, you’re doing it for my good, “you never know who is reading, Lisa, you want to make sure it’s pristine for them.”  Hey, check this out, I’m not writing for them, I’m writing for ME!   

Sure, I have Carrie Bradshaw dreams, but when I cross that bridge, I will make sure I have a great editor, okay pumpkin.   

Until then…Let me do my thizzle.  Oh should I have said “thing”?  Bite me! 


What was I saying?  Oh yeah, United Way…

Although I was literally sleeping on United Way, I wasn’t totally sleeping.  I had a great time working at United Way.  Working with various accounts showed me the power of
1)    Having a great suit
2)    A winning personality
3)    The power of working from the field

On my sales job, we were able to work from the field, but we were on a short leash.
As for my United Way job, it was no problem to post up at Panera Bread with my cell phone, laptop and my favorite 2 for 2 special (Napa Almond Chicken Salad Sandwich and Asian Sesame Chicken Salad).  Forget what you all say, Panera is the bomb!  Can you tell I’m bit of a foody, last two blogs, I’ve mentioned food.  See, what you all don’t know, although I’m skinny like this:
Inside I’m a big girl like this:

 
Pause!  Speaking of Naomi Campbell, can we talk about this pic for a minute: 

 Trust me when I say, it PAINS me to talk about Naomi, she is my FAVORITE SUPERMODEL!  Ya'll know I feel some sort of way about models (re-read my old blogs), but Naomi is my model icon!  But look at those edges!!!  go ahead, I'll wait, take a gander.....It is ridiculous!!!!  Ladies, the weave epidemic that is going on is crazy.  I sometimes feel like I want to get a weave, but then I think back to Naomi. 

I like my beautiful long hair...no weave...don't hate...

 I mean yes, we all want to by stylish and feel glamorous, but the abuse of weaves by sistas is something else.  The Remy, the Indian, the Virgin Princess.  Ya'll spend more money on weaves than fixing your credit score!  But then again, everyone has their reasons for the weaves, I won't hate or judge those who do.  Hell, do you ma....

Anyways, enough of my rants, and I'm not gonna go out banging on Naomi like that...because no matter what, no matter how many people Naomi beats with phones or cusses out, she is a bad bitch! 

 And my favorite super model! Work it Naomi! 


Anyways, there is something to say about an employer that trusts you and gives you total autonomy to work.  It makes you feel responsible and independent.  This was my first time experiencing the “work in the field” and I was determined not to take advantage of it, hell if anything, it strengthened my work ethic.  I would come into work at 8am work until 10am, leave out to hit a couple of accounts, have an “extended lunch” (usually at home taking a nap) and then, work from the field.  My favorite was visiting my Nordstrom account because, technically I was working, but I certainly took a good 45 minutes to browse the store, same with Macy’s.  Then I would head to Johns Hopkins, hit two accounts and by 3:30 I was working from “the field”.   I felt, as long as I hit my goal of 30-40 account calls a week, I was good.  Come to find out, of my department, I was the one making the most client calls, when really I felt like I was doing less work.

Until one day in November when I was at a meeting when I sat next to the PR person for United Way.  I leaned over and told her that I had my undergraduate degree in public relations and she asked, “what are you doing in non-profit?”  My response, “you don’t want to hear that story.”  She said if I ever wanted to jump in to PR to give her a call, and she slid me her business card. 

Here I was at a crossroad.  I have a great job and a great boss, but the chance to FINALLY WORK IN PR????  Wow!!!!  However, at first I did not jump at the opportunity, I just put the card in my Rolodex and kept chugging away at my routine of United Way/Marriott/Jack Daniels.  Oh but it wasn’t long before I hit a major brick wall.  My personal life came crashing down.  Remember that awesome boyfriend I had that was waiting outside of Wal-Mart for me, yeah well, long gone were those days, and shit got “REAL”.  So, since my personal life was crashing, I was experiencing a bad case of heartbreak blues, I was becoming ridiculously moody from working 2 full time jobs, therefore it was time for a change.  This resulted in me morphing into my inner 2 Pac and decided to scream FUCK THE WORLD. 


I pulled out that business card, emailed the Director at that PR firm and sent my resume, and slowly, but surely, she responded with the words that sound all too familiar too me “when can you come in for an interview?” 


NEXT:  ba da ba, ba, ba I’m Lovin’ it!  PR for Ronald McDonald




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...