Skip to main content

Job Chronicles: I Get Money


The Fundraiser

Back in High School…yes, my dreary ass high school days, I was apart of the Rotary Club.  Don’t laugh, it was highly looked upon to be apart of the Rotary Club, or so I was told.  A teacher asked me to join, I said yes, and so I was in the Rotary Club, hell part of the pitch was that I would be out of class...sold! 

Well, with the Rotary Club, I was the “Community Youth Representative” for the United Way.  Basically, I sat in these boring as board meetings and tried my hardest to stay awake.  Yes, picture it…the only high school student AND the only black person in the room, and of course to me, at the time, it was like watching paint dry.  I’m sure I should have looked like this:

But I’m sure I looked like this:

I was all the way wrong, they should have never had me sitting up in a board meeting deciding on the funding for hospices’ and senior care facilities knowing good and well I was not concerned on what their plans were.

Nevertheless, my United Way experience in 1993 paid off as I applied for my new United Way job of 2006.  I was in the interview frontin like, “Yes, I absolutely had involvement in the community and had input on how funding should be allocated during the campaign year!”   I wasn’t lying; I was “involved”, technically…. I just did what you call “embellish” my experience a bit!  

So, I am added to the Baltimore Team as a “Relationship Manager”.  Yes, that was my title, Senior Relationship Manager.  The title itself was BS!  But keep reading; there is more BS ahead. 

I was apart of the Resource Development department, which was cool because why, my department was ALL BLACK WOMEN!  HOLLLA!!!!!!!!  To top it off, my boss was a black woman and even better, was that she knew some folks in Spokane Washington! 

Pause! 

Let me tell you a little something about us Spokane folks, it don’t matter if you’re white, black, young, old…if you meet someone randomly and they just so happen to know about Spokane Washington…we’re immediately excited and go into a line of questions “really, who do you know?, what school did they go to? Did they live on the East Side, South Hill, Northside or the Valley? OMG you’ve eaten at Zips?  Did you have tartar with your fries tho?”  A nigga be hyped!

Okay, another lesson on Spokane…there is a restaurant called Zips and hands down have THE BEST FRENCH FRIES EVER!  
I never cared for McDonald’s fries until I moved out of Spokane.  Eating McDonald’s fries is like taking coffee in the desert, if that’s all there is, hell, I guess I gotta take it.  But when I go home, oh please believe Zips is a must!  And yes, we dip our fries in tartar sauce.   
 
Yes, Xzibit, we dip our fries in tartar sauce.  I don’t know, we just do, it’s what we do, and the shit is good! Don’t knock it until you try it.  OMG, I want a Papa Joe so bad right now! 

Moving on!


So, now having a sista for a boss, you know I was in there off the LaVita Alize Jenkins, "Heyyyy, boss lady, just let me know what you need, I got you!”  

She was cool as a fan!  I cannot express how much I loved my boss…no homo.  For real, you have to think about it, go back through my old Job Chronicles, I’ve never been on a team where I was working for a Black Woman, therefore I was set and ready to learn and follow her lead.  And she was a Virgo too…. shout out to my Virgo’s!!!!! 
 
Well, my duties as a relationship manager were to be the campaign manager for large companies and organizations.  My portfolio consisted of Johns Hopkins Hospital and University (the 3rd largest account United Way had—thank you very much), The Baltimore Sun, and all retail in MD (Wal Mart, Target, Nordstrom, JCPenny, Macy’s, Giant Food, etc).  So my portfolio of accounts was very vast, but you know me, I hit the ground running! 

The workplace campaigns were basically set up for you, the employee to donate to the charity of your choice through a deduction from your payroll.  Basically it is a Righteous Hustle.  Why do I call it a Righteous Hustle?  

 Because it’s like me saying:

“Check this out homeboy, give me $50 each pay check, I’m gonna take $10 of your $50 for my pockets, its my fee, and then I will put the rest of it in the collection plate at church on Sunday and sign your name.  I'll say Amen too!  Cool?  Cool.”   

 I bet you all just read that in Hustle Man's voice too huh? lol

So, therefore the Righteous Hustle.

We would give the money to the other charities, but United Way go their bread too, I mean we the employees needed to get paid; we had to function as an organization…but multiply that by thousands of donors from all workplaces around the sate of Maryland.  Now don’t trip, we did have some fools who weren’t so quick to fall for the banana in the tailpipe.  So, they would send me in my cute DKNY Business Suit, polished speech and I would explain in my “corporate” way in which it all worked. I was getting that money! 
 
My job is going fantastic, my boo is loving on me…things are going great!  Until, I started having financial issues.  See, what had happened was, when I working at the Marriott, I was too cheap to pay for parking, and too lazy to catch the train to my job that was 5 minutes from my house, so I would park on the street, and over the year, I racked up parking tickets for expired meters.  

 Yeah, well I had about $700 in fines.  DO NOT JUDGE ME, NO DON’T DO THAT!   Anyways, so my boo at the time decided he wanted to get in the liquor business and started working for Jack Daniels.  Bingo, because now, I can be a promo girl!  Who better than to help out on his job than someone who already had the experience, right?    


Good in theory, but there were issues with that…you’ll have to read bits of that when my book comes out!  Yes, its coming…don’t rush me!!! The book is loosely based on events that transpired during this time.  If you like these blogs, you'll love the book.  Shameless plug!

Anyways, so the United Way money and the new promo money still wasn’t enough to chip at the iceberg of parking tickets.  So, what do I do?  I decided to go back to the Marriott.  This time, as a night auditor at the SpringHill Suites Marriott at Arundel Mills.

So check this out, that meant from 8am-4pm I worked United Way.  4-6pm chill.  6-8pm Jack Daniels Promo.  Go home, get ready for work at Marriott from 10pm – 7am…then do that over and over.  Yes, that was the true definition of INSANITY.   Talk about a sleep deprived angry black woman?!?!?!

Talk about life coming full circle, because here I was again, sleep at my desk…at UNITED WAY!!!! 

NEXT: UNITED WAY PART 2: Making life long friends


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...