*****DISCLAIMER***** TO MY WHITE FRIENDS, THIS IS ALL SARCASTIC HUMOR, DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE TO ANYTHING! *big hugs*
For someone who LOVED school in elementary and middle school, I have such a sour taste in my mouth for two of my places of education, Joel E. Ferris High School and Bowie State University.
Now, first let me say, just because I have a sour taste, DOES NOT mean I did not have a totally bad time at both schools. I just have a "bad funk" when it comes to attending class reunions or homecomings for either. Want me to break it down....here goes
Ferris:
1. DID NOT WANT TO GO! plain and simple, from JUMP I did NOT want to go to Ferris, I wanted to go to Lewis & Clark, so immediately, I hated it. Don't get me wrong, Freshman year was off the hook. I had the fly Salt N' Pepa hairstyle with the lines in my eyebrow like MC Lyte....yes, I was HIP HOP TO THE DEF! I went to every dance that year, and two of them with my high school crush Titus Davis....ahhh Titus, what a shame. But anyways, yes, Freshman year at Ferris was like Chris Rock would say "Crack-a-lackin". But other than that, I didn't want to be there.
2. THE MASCOT IS A FREAKIN ANGLO SAXON!!! Are you serious right now? Really, me, a little black girl has to be proud that I go to a high school where the mascot is an ANGLO SAXON!? I say ANGLO, because I do not know of any other race of Saxons. But anyways, I don't know about you, but I've never known an Anglo Saxon to be a friend to Africans. I really think District 81 in Spokane should look at the message it is sending by having a notoriously violent, more than likely racist, figure as it's mascot. Nothing screams anti-black to me than ANGLO SAXON....let the scarlet and silver stand out amongst the rest....get the eff outta here.
oohhh Saxons--bunch of tools
3. HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA: So my senior year, I had a HORRIFIC case of 90210 drama with the Homecoming King and Queen. They made the last semester of my FREAKIN SENIOR YEAR hell. Well not really, I'm being melodramatic right now, I had a good time, but that last semester, they totally drained my life. It's funny, because fast forward to 18 years later and some of the same people who sided against me when the drama hit the fan, are my friends on FB! Ha
4. I DIDN'T GO TO PROM: Are you kidding me? What female doesn't go to prom? Someone who clearly had the scarlet letter on her chest. See # 3 above. But really, my date, Yosef Afenegus, (RIP) was my prom date, but unfortunately became ill, no not the flu, a brain tumor...cancer (you assholes) right before prom. Therefore, my BEST FRIEND Kym, went with me to the movies and we said, eff Ferris and those miniature Anglo Saxon's running around up there.
5. NON SUPPORTIVE FACULTY and STAFF: Those teachers did nothing for my education while I was there. Matter of fact, my guidance counselor told me that I wasn't cut out for college. HA, funny, I just got accepted to Univ. of Maryland to get my Master's Degree. However, sadly it took me YEARS deprogram myself from thinking perhaps I was college material.
Moving on, my economics teacher once kicked me out of class because he actually thought Christopher Columbus discovered America. I said, well first of all, the Native American's were here first. Second, it's been documented that African's from the Ivory coast traveled the waters to what we call "America" before Columbus for trade, but they didn't think they discovered anything, they just got in their boat and went back, like Columbus should have done. I brought him in my article, to prove my "black history".....that Anglo Saxon leader, kicked me out....it's when I first learned about being insubordinate to authority! I'm sure he hated it when I actually walked out of his class with "B" *High five Lisa*
6. Aside from my fly freshman year.....after that, UGLY DUCKLING! I went through my sophomore year with the ugly duckling blues! Part of my junior year too! but oh goodness, it made life unbearable for a moment! My own brother picked on me.....thanks Dre for scarring me for life....ha that's why he loves me so much now!
Kym and I painting my dad's house--not a cute look
Moving on to College life....it took me awhile to accept that getting a higher education was something I should do. My mom planted the seed when she made me do Americorp for two years and told me I had to go to college, despite the fact I was told repeatedly from my counselors I wasn't college material. But I made it to Bowie State University--where in the *bleep* is Bowie State? It is in Maryland and is a Historical Black University for those of you who don't know. I studied there for one year. I will say, most of the reason I didn't enjoy my time was MY FAULT, I will take that, but nonetheless, I have a sour taste.
1. I HATED MY ROOMMATE: This chick hated me and I hated her! She was like Biggie, fat, black and ugly. I know I shouldn't say that, but her attitude towards me makes it hard for me to be a bit nice. She was from PG county, yet ACTED like she was from S.E. DC somewhere. She was a product of a two parent home, her mother a principal at an elementary school, yet she acted like she was from the projects. We tried to be cordial, and we both tried to get out of being each others roommate, but unfortunately, we were told we had to wait until the end of the school year.
2. LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP: Before instant message, free minutes after 7pm on cell phones, skype, web cameras, and all the luxuries....I was in a long distance relationship with at the time was the LOVE OF MY LIFE...okay, so I thought. I talked to him EVERY NIGHT, if not by email, then I was running to the store buying soooo many calling cards to call my boyfriend who was back in Seattle. Not only was he in Seattle, but I'd get a hard time from men that I met on campus because my boyfriend at the time was WHITE!! Yes, I was in love with one of the Anglo Saxons! shoot me! Well he wasn't a Saxon, lucky for him, he went to LC!
3. HORRIBLE FOOD: I know that college food is not suppose to be gourmet or anything, but come on!!! And my Line Sister wonders why I ate Grilled Cheese Sandwiches everyday....they're safe! lol
4. TRANSFER STUDENT: This means I didn't know ANYBODY on campus. So for the first month, I was a loner....great for studying. Sure I met people, and have a few memories, but outside of that, I really don't have that "ohhhh, remember when..." moments at Bowie *shrugs shoulders*
5. THE ADMINISTRATION: I went to Bowie on my Americorp scholarship. On the voucher there are directions for the school on how to cash in the money. Bowie, for whatever reason either does not hire staff that can read, or they're just lazy, but whatever the reason, instead of following the directions on cashing the voucher, instead they sent me to COLLECTIONS for an unpaid tuition bill. I called Americorp, and they said Bowie has not cashed in the voucher. Americorp sent Bowie ANOTHER VOUCHER. Do you know that it took them 2 years AFTER I left Bowie to figure it out. By that time, the interest collected on the "collection" bill that I refused to pay. Bowie rectified my collections, but the State of Maryland some how kept the interest, and when I moved here and filed state taxes, the state took my little $180 tax money.....DAMN YOU BSU!!!!
My second semester at Bowie was better because at that time, I joined the most illustrious sorority, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated, and MY LIFE CHANGED! Once the Blue and White light shined on me, the heavens opened up! It is 100% the reason why I'm back in Maryland now. If it wasn't for my Line Sisters, I would not be here!
So you see, I have my reason as to why I will not participate in the Class reunion at Ferris, and why I do not attend Homecoming at Bowie. I don't care to see people from Ferris who really didn't care about me, or who I can see now on Facebook. And aside from Zeta, I really didn't have a good experience at Bowie.
I could EASILY list the good things that happened to me at both Ferris and Bowie, but people bug me more as to why I won't go to the class reunion and why I don't attend homecoming. It's a Lisa thing, for crying out loud, let me do me....and part of me is not attending these educational walk down memory lane events. But hey, I may shock myself and others and just show up.....nahhhhh


Well...I don't know if I should share but my HU Experience was just that AND MORE...EPIC in so many ways and was the breeding ground for who and what I am today! I am a full time event planner and a part time owner of a boutique marketing firm that works in the music industry and plans culturally relevant events! *singing* IM SOOO GLAD I WENT TO HOWARD U...(and not a white school) IM SOOO GLAD I WENT TO HOWARD U...Shouting Glory Halleluia, WHEWWW, Im so glad. I was also 3rd generation so that just added to the self-esteem right there. Don't worry sis, I got it IN for u!
ReplyDelete:) Aww, thanks Lex for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog. I just ramble at times, but it's all love, and keeps me writing so I can finish my book!
ReplyDeleteLMAO, that's right you didn't go to graduation! That's a shame that we feel such ill will towards our high school, but hey, it is what it is!
ReplyDeleteWell are the only people who wanted know what was a Saxon, and its only been recent that we called ferris the home of the anglo Saxon. but any way nice pice don't have your readers thinking I'm a ashole. Love you
ReplyDeleteBTW wating on your secret society report.
LMAO, Dre, I would need A lot of material for my secret society report! That is just stuff I ramble on and on about.
ReplyDeleteBut we wanted to know what a Saxon was because we knew whatever it was, it wasn't "African American friendly"!