Skip to main content

Friends & Family: My loves


The other day on FB my status read:
"Friends. How many of us have them? Friends...
Granted, it is a famous, Whodini song and clearly, I incited a Facebook sing a-long, but really, I was asking a real question regarding, friends.  
I have a plethora of friends.  From east to west coast, from north to south and across the globe, I have mad friends.  However, I have four that I consider my “BEST” friends.  Kym, Ebonie, Dee Dee and Joie.   I talk to all four of them on a regular and try to see them as much as possible.   

BEST FRIENDS:

The four I listed above are my best friends because they know the “Little Lisa”.  The awkward, skinny, big thick glasses, no boyfriend having little Lisa.   They knew of my home life, the issues with my mom, me going through the tragedy of losing both my grandmother and mom to murder and the devastating effects it had on my family and me.  They witnessed it ALL and stood by me.  The mood swings, the fights, the arguments, the depression, the growth, the falls, the victories.  They saw all of my transitions and for that, I am truly blessed to have them in my life.


SORORS:
Now, sorors aren’t friends that you necessarily pick, they’re women you’re kinda forced to know through your organization.  I became a Zeta through the best chapter ever, Omicron Gamma at Bowie State.  The 17 years I’ve been a Zeta, I’ve met some dynamic, God-sent, amazing women who a select few I love as if they’re my sisters.  I can’t name all of them because then, I’m throwing shade, but if I’ve ever lived with you, LITERALLY cried on your shoulder, confided in you, slept on your couch for an entire weekend, got me a job, done my hair (because we all know I hate doing hair), let you drive my brand new Lexus because I was drunk (Okay we all know that is Christine, lol), loaned you money, road tripped with you, drove you home from the club, partied until the break of dawn with you, pray with you, encouraged my writing, then you know who you are. 
Sorors have a different bond than best friends.  They’re almost like a best friend sub group.  When I can’t have my best friends, these ladies are here to step in.   When I don’t have my sisters, they’re my sisters.

GUY FRIENDS:

This gets tricky because typically there are guy friends who push their way out of  the “friend zone” or I open the gate for them, but because of our foundation of friendship, we never let "mushy feelings" get in the way of anything.  However, there are guy friends who truly respect the platonic code.  I have 5 guy friends who are Kings!  And even using that word "king" is too weak to describe what they mean to me.  I won’t put them out on blast (Erik, Omari, Kevin, Daemeon, Vince) but these men have; saved me from pimps (literally), sent gifts from overseas, traveled to Canada and back, talked to me for hours when no one else would talk to me, have me cracking up about their crazy antics of women chasing, visit with me even when I’m looking a hot mess, sit and drink an entire bottle of whiskey and talk about everything, give me money so I won’t be broke, take me on adventures, introduce me to new worlds, give me advice on my crazy love life, tell me when I'm actually being Metta World Peace (Vince), feed me, comfort me and take care of me like a brother when my brothers aren’t around.     Fellas, you know who you are…I salute you and love you wholeheartedly.  Okay, Vince…there is your shout out in a blog…you happy now? Lol But I love you, bro!  Oh and Vince, I do recall your name made and appearance in one of Job Chronicles. Check the archives, bro!


MY GIRLS:

Then I have some friends that are just my straight up homegirls.  These women aren’t in the “best friend” category not because they’re not worthy, it is because it doesn’t even need to be all that.   Like my best friends, they’ve seen my growth, been with me through the good and bad times.  Laughed with each other when really we wanted to cry.  Partied together, gone to church together, prayed over each other, cried over men, been on trips with each other, cook for each other and went from young ladies to beautiful women.  Sonda, Sonja T., Dawn, and Wenya…Love you ladies. 


MY SISTERS:

Marenda and Sarah, both my little sisters but both such big inspirations to my life that they don’t even know it.  They encourage me to do better by the way they watch me.  I live to make sure that I lead by example.  I don’t have any children, and although they’re grown, I still live each day to do better for them.  They’re my babies and I love them like they’re still little girls. I love that they still come to me, ask me for advice and somewhat listen to what I say.  They're my hearts!

MY BROTHERS:

And if my sisters are my heart, my brothers are my heart beat.  Dre and Mathew are two knuckleheads that I will cuss out in one breath but will set someone on fire for them in the next minute.  Dre calls me “little big sister” he’s funny that way.  I’m Mathew’s falafel and his sweet baklava...where this fool find these nicknames for me, I don't know, but I miss their love for me.  I miss the way Dre looks at me when he’s worried about me and I have to say “what, Dre?”  and he says, “nothing Lisa, I just love you,” but really he doesn’t want me to “go off” on him.   I miss Mateo’s look when he hasn’t seen me in a long time, and that he and I can crack up together at the silliest things, “it could’ve given me quite a poo poo” (inside joke, Duck Tales Movie). 

It’s a random Monday night and I’m feeling lots of love inside of me and appreciate the people who have an impact on my life.  I hate that I don’t have them all close to me,  like for real here in my building…where I can walk downstairs and borrow sugar from them, lol.  In a perfect world, we’d all live in the same neighborhood, on the same block and on the same street…not on the same social media network where although they're a click away...they're still miles away.  

Oh and special shout outs to the people I have group chats with on my phone...ya'll make each day fun with laughter, advice and sometimes the level of ignoring you give me is unprecedented.  I'm just kidding...but I really do hate to be ignored via text, you don't know how many names I call you in my mind...well now you do....LOL....I'm just kidding...or not...lol

Coming to you live and direct from the temple of MaLisea Queen where she misses everyone.  Even you, too!! xoxoxoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...