Skip to main content

Job Chronicles: My Mic Sounds Nice, Check 1


So, it is January 1999, I started classes at Eastern Washington University, I put in my application to be apart of the opening team for the new Gap opening in the summer of 99, and I am working at The Bon Marche, while still living at home.   My boyfriend moved to Houston, and I’m getting acclimated to my renewed life in Spokane.  I hate that I’m in Spokane, but hey, I had to do it for the time being. 

I’m working at the Bon part time now that classes had started, and while getting to know people, I was introduced to the program director for the EWU radio station, Jazz 89.9 FM.  I told him I was a communications major and while at Bowie, I was one of the on-air personalities.  I didn’t tell him my hood ass on-air name was “The west coast shorty” because I wasn’t trying to deter him from the possibility of offering me a position.   Shout out to my Radio Station partner in crime Raina, where it all started!! 


Yes, I picked the on-air name “Westcoast Shorty” because not only was I from the west coast going to Bowie, but it also was to pay homage to Biggie…

“…My west coast shorty, push the chrome 740
Rocking Redman and Naughty, all in my kitty-kat
Half a brick of yay, in the bra where her titties at.”

I know, I know…I didn’t know any better, just glamorizing drug dealing, defamation of women and just no respect for anything….but that shit was hot….HEYYYYY


Anyways, lo and behold, the program director said,
“Well, we’re looking for someone to take the night shift on our Sunday World Sounds show, you would work from 6pm-11pm.” 

I asked well if this is a jazz station, what type of music, so he said

“World music, like Bob Marley, Tito Puente, Fela Kuti, etc.” 

Did he just say Bob Marley?  Did he know that anyone who knows me know that I LOVE ROBERT NESTA MARLEY!!!  I was all in, AND I was going to be paid $6.80 per hour.  Cheap ass Bowie State damn sure didn't pay me shit to be on air....Where do I sign up? 
I told the Bon that I needed to go to part time, needless to say, they were not happy with that, but hey, they got over it.  So, I’m in school, working in the radio station and at the Bon. 

I was doing a great job at the radio station, when the program director approached me and asked if I wanted to take over the weekday night shift since that slot was now opened due to a graduating senior.  That meant 6 days a week at the radio station and that meant less hours for me at the Bon.  Therefore, being though I had dreams of radio broadcasting, I thought, this is my ticket; sure I’ll take the radio station and gave The Bon the deuces.  I gave up health insurance, making $10/hr to work part time at the radio station.  Okay, so sometimes, we all make dumb mistakes, but I felt you have to sometime sacrifice in order to pursue a dream.  Well, at the time I thought it was a dream.   You know, waking up to your morning drive, and hearing my voice with the latest music and gossip...I wanted to be a morning show host on an urban station....yeah well that dream was deferred.

I was on air and the format was all classical jazz during the weekdays.  You know your John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, Billie Holliday, Louis Armstrong, Chick Corea, and Frank Sinatra.  Yo, I was hyped, because this expanded my jazz knowledge, and to a music lover like me, it was key to be well rounded in my music collection.   Being on-air is scary and kinda lonely, if you're the only one in the station.  My voice was all meek and little, it sounded like a 12 year old introducing jazz songs....what does a 12 year old know about Sarah Vaughn? NOTHING, but hey, I did my thing on the radio, I didn't have ANY COMPLAINTS! humph!
 This was my FAVORITE CD to play, aww memories
(someone can buy this for me for Christmas, hint hint)

So, the radio station and classes became my life as Winter turned to Spring…., then one day I FINALLY received that call…

“Hi, Lisa, this is (bleep) from the Gap, we would love for you to come in and interview for our downtown Spokane Store.”

I went in, and NAILED the FUCK out of that interview.  Ya’ll know I am Gap material.  I was in there being my charismatic self.  Talked about my love for Gap clothing (at the time I loved it), and how my personality was synonymous with The Gap.  Stop it, now, don't front like The Gap 10 years ago was not the shiznit.  EVERYONE loved The Gap back them.  The Christmas CD's, the commercials, the ads, the celebrity endorsements, I was ALL over it! 


Needless to say, I got the job, however they threw a wrench in my dreams.  See how rapidly my dreams changed...shaking my head at my own self.   They said since I was such a fan of The Gap, they thought it was best to utilize my energy for their Gap Body store that was opening next door to the store.  Gap Body was the intimate collection of Gap, you know, pajamas, underwear, bath supplies, etc.  BOOOOOO your ass…. I want to work with the clothes!!!  However, I figured, let me start with this and work my way around.  My start date would be in June, so I had two months before I officially became a Gap employee.  The best part, they were certainly flexible with me working The radio station and my class schedule.  I was all set for operation Gap take over. 
 Gap hat, Gap Shirt, Classic Gap Khaki's and even Gap socks!

All of this at the time was showing me the fundamental skill of multitasking, and bullshitting.  I will admit, I’m a great bullshitter when I need to be, especially in interviews, arguments and getting my way with men.  Don’t get my bullshitting mixed up with being a liar, that is not what I’m promoting.  I exaggerate my points.  For example, I love The Gap, no lie, but in the interview, I made the Gap to be like Jesus was the CEO and I was auditioning to be a Gap disciple.  I didn’t kiss ass, but I was very convincing.  This was pivotal because now I’m starting to learn the power of words and the power of follow through, because although I sold myself as The Gap disciple, I had to live up to that on the floor everyday, and have you ever tried being a disciple of anything???  It can be hard and challenging…ask Jesus’ former homeboy Judas.

Learning the lessons of life is very hard especially when you’re trying to mold your future and your career.

Up next….The Gap Playette, Rockin the Radio and EWU Admissions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...