Skip to main content

Job Chronicles: How many jobs you got?


“I won't deny it, I'm a straight ridah
You don't wanna fuck with me
Got the police bustin at me
But they can't do nuttin to a G”


heeyyy, just a little 2Pac to set the pace. RIP Pac

So it’s 1996, I’m working in the criminal justice system, getting my strength in street knowledge and  conspiracy theories from the homies on lockdown.  I’m making the best of living in Yakima.  Working at Yakima County Department of Correction, attending Yakima Valley Community College, and my mom, the natural born hustler that she is calls up one day and says:

“Well since you think you’re grown, living on your own, you need more money so that you can properly furnish your apartment, so I got you a job at the Yakima Herald.” 

You can imagine my surprise when I was like, “uh, why did YOU get ME a job when I already have one?”   I guess she felt guilty since although I wasn’t living under her roof, she was still monopolizing my paycheck every two weeks. 

Sidebar:  why do you moms do that?  Why do you all think that you have reign over your child’s paycheck?  Just take it and do what you want.  Luckily for me, I threw a couple “I’m going crazy” tirade’s, you know, adult temper tantrums and my mom would go from straight jackin my paycheck to “borrowing” my money and paying me back when she got paid.  I mean I used have to really snap the hell out on Antoinette a couple of times for messing with my money, and if you knew me and knew my mom, you knew those were pretty ugly.  It got to the point where my dear ol granddaddy, bless his soul, would have to interject:

“dammit Antoinette, leave that girl and her money alone.  Nisa, don’t you give your momma no more money.” 

“Granddaddy, I’m trying not to give her money but she keeps taking it.  I already bankrupt my Carlos Rossi jug for $350 to get clothes, pay my bills, and now she wants more. ” I’d respond in the middle of my fits. 

My mom: “you had $350 in that wine jug, damn?  You must get saving money from your daddy because you damn sure didn’t get it from the Gardner side.  Shit, shut up and quit crying, I’ll pay your ass back when I get my check, shit just give me $400.” 

My mom was a real comedian, up there trying to laugh it off like $400 wasn’t anything in 1996.  Hell $400 is a lot right now!  I sure wish I had a 19 year old I could punk for their money right now.!!!   But in return, sometimes she would hook me up with her rental car to let me drive to Spokane for the weekend and stunt.  AND she was the one who was planning and paying for my 21st birthday bash in Las Vegas.  She was a good mommy when she wanted to be. 


So anyways, as the sole controller of my life and my destiny, my mom got me a weekend job working at Yakima Herald, stuffing the Sunday morning inserts (coupons, parade magazines) into a machine that fed the inserts into the paper.  I worked on Saturday night/Sunday morning, 12am-5am.  Can you imagine the tight face I would have when my BFF, Kym, who I was roommates with, would go out to kick it with my mom, in the cleezy drinking Alize while I was at work--burning the midnight oil.  Yeah, they was straight punking me…no Ashton.  



I on the other hand had another agenda to gain extra money, so when I went to part time at the county jail, (I could reduce to part time since I was administering the GED tests for them, so while I was at school myself, that counted towards being at work since I had to go on campus and pick up and deliver the tests to the school on behalf of the jail).  Therefore, with part time hours, I decided I’d apply for The Bon Marche.  If anyone from Washington State remembers The Bon, it was a cool place to work, and I worked in the The Cube.  Oh, to you all on the East Coast, the Bon really is Macy's and actually was bought by Macy's.  Anyways, like I was saying, I worked in The Cube and it was like working at Brass Plum in Nordstrom.  So I thought I was real fly, and I was about to reinvent myself with an entire new wardrobe!  

So, I have the job at the jail, the Yakima Herald on the weekends and The Bon everyday from 4-10pm and on Saturdays 8am-5.  I was working 3 jobs AND going to school.  I was holding it down for Maurice out there in the streets of Yakima!  No, Maurice did not become my incarcerated boyfriend,  I already had my share of writing inmates and accepting collect calls from Walla Walla State Pen…got over that phase in 1993!!! Sheesh! Lol

Things were looking good, and one day, while at The Bon, my manager called me to her office and said, they needed me in HR.  I was sweating bullets.  I had only worked at the Bon for a month and I wasn’t late and I didn’t steal anything…I thought about it, but I didn’t.  So I got to HR, sweating bullets and the Director of HR said, 

“Lisa, I’m afraid I got a call, there is a family emergency, I have to take you home.”  

 I wasn’t sure what was going on, and although Yakima is only so big, I remember that long drive from Downtown Yakima to the West Side of town to my mom’s house.  This was before cell phones…. well, before I could afford a cell phone, so I couldn’t call my BFF to find out if she knew what was going on.  I got to the block of my mom’s house and saw police and ambulance everywhere.  I immediately started crying in the car because I thought something happened to my 86-year-old granddaddy, which was my entire life, my heartbeat.  I got out of my HR manager’s car, only to be told, “Lisa, your mom was found dead this morning.” 

Next: The Bon Marche – Seattle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...