So, I’m over here on the east coast, and this whole natural hair craze is spreading like wild fire. The ladies, who are audacious enough to rock their natural hair, are absolutely stunning. They walk with confidence, with style and grace. I love that they have a commanding attitude towards life and I believe it isn’t just the person that they are, but embracing the “natural” beauty of their natural mane.
However, here is my beef. The same women that I believe are rocking these confident chemical free coifs seem to feel that now is their opportunity to indirectly (or directly), make other non-natural females feel inadequate. So what, you’ve escaped the shackles of the Soft and Beautiful or Motions home chemical relaxers, does that make you better?
Your confidence that I admired has rapidly turned to arrogance that I despise. I get the whole “embrace who you are naturally, don’t conform” statement and idea. However, a vast majority of you same females were permed up for majority of your nappy headed lives. Let’s not act brand new. What comes easy or “natural” for you may not be that easy for others, so I ask that you STOP down grading those who have not, or will not make the switch.
Furthermore, natural is NOT for everyone. What works for you may not work for others. For example, let us take my hair situation. I do not perm my hair. I HATE GETTING PERMS!!!
I totally hate the burning, I hate the scabs in my hair, I hate the “don’t scratch your scalp before perming” I hate the complimentary burns on your ear from your stylist with her hot ass flat iron. I hate HAIR.
If you ask my step mom, she will tell you, my hair when I was young would be so matted and nappy, I would literally cry getting my hair done. I HATE HAIR! I hate doing my hair, going to get it done, styling it, wrapping it at night, washing it myself, and sitting under a blow dryer. I HATE IT ALL! Nevertheless, I do it! Hell, I gotta do something, or get ridiculed by the mean hair girls! (you know who ya'll are, lol)
I personally go to the Dominicans and let them blow it out, or I find a salon to get my “natural” hair straightened with a pressing comb…yes I’m old school, flat irons don't get it like pressing combs.
Anyways, that nappy natural is not for me! I tried it and I get frustrated, because there is much more maintenance to natural hair than natural people like to admit or forewarn. You have to spend a carnote of money on all these creams, leave in conditioners, etc. to find what works for your hair. Gotta wash it, section it, comb through, apply leave in conditioner, braid it, twist it up, etc. and that is done 2-3 times a week (at least in my experience). However with my straight hair, I wrap and go. Or I pin curl and go.
My hair is naturally dry, therefore, I have to keep it "greased" at the scalp. I hate heavy product on my actual hair, except for a sheen or hair gloss. However, when wearing it natural, I find I have to treat it like a Jehri Curl, spritz it, keep it looking fresh and not all dried up and matted.
My hair is naturally dry, therefore, I have to keep it "greased" at the scalp. I hate heavy product on my actual hair, except for a sheen or hair gloss. However, when wearing it natural, I find I have to treat it like a Jehri Curl, spritz it, keep it looking fresh and not all dried up and matted.
Nevertheless, there are ladies who just needs a weave or a perm, and does that make them less as a woman because they’re not natural? They look good, walk with confidence, and are just as stunning as well. So why does there seem to be a sudden beef between natural hair women vs. permed women? Is this the new light skin vs. dark skin controversy that continues to silently separate our race and makes us hate each other even still in the 21st century? Ladies, we have to stop the madness.
You don’t see men with dreads degrading or talking down on men who have fades or vice versa. Women, we have to stop being cruel to each other, it’s just HAIR! You do with it what you must so that you’re not running around looking a complete mess regardless on if it is straight, dreaded, braided, weaved up, natural, twists, pressed, curly, etc. Girl do your thang!
Coming to you live and direct from the temple of Malisea Queen, where she goes from Natural to straight in 1.2 hours at the Dominicans, and Straight to Natural in 2.5 hours.



Comments
Post a Comment