I love the fact that I was born and raised on the west coast--specifically, Spokane Washington. It took MANY years to come to terms with being from Spokane, because being the traveler that I am, I've come across a multitude of "geographically challenged" individuals who barely know where Washington State is located, let alone Spokane. Therefore, in dealing with such people in my travels, I am forced to say, "I'm from Seattle." I do get some "totally slept through geography" idiots who'll say, "Seattle? Washington?" And before I can think, being the smart ass that I am, I reply, "no, the other Seattle." Which of course leaves them totally perplexed, at which point I say, "Yes, Seattle Washington."
No, Spokane isn't a big city, we don't have a housing projects, closest thing to that is the Bryant Arms or now knows as Richard Allen apartments...or did the name change? Anyways, It doesn't have a huge metropolitan area, it is a small city with very tight knit communities, and by all means, you rep your hood! Now let me breakdown the neighborhoods for you.
Northside: Anything North of Riverfront Park is considered the Northside. It was where the city's only mall was located (when I was growing up) and was predominately white. Well all of Spokane is white, but bare with me. Their "hood" high school was Rogers where Northside black folks attended, with a very few "well off" black folks went to North Central.
Eastside: THE BEST SIDE! where a majority of the African American families lived in Spokane. Where the infamous Eastside Community Center is located, Larry's Barbershop, and Horseman's (RIP because it's no longer there). Geographically The Eastside was considered Liberty Park to the K-Mart on Sprague. But we'd give Eastside passes to the "Upper Eastside" which technically was the southhill, where Grant Elementary, Bethel, St. Matthews Church, Excel Grocery store and Richard Allen Apartments were located. Our community was TIGHT! True Black Spokanites have parents who were raised on the East Side as well, therefore making you and your family a staple in the community. Yes, my mom was born in Spokane, therefore I was BORN with my Eastside badge. I won't go into how well respected my grandmother was, that is another blog. My point is, I have my Eastside stripes. Let's just say, it was the cool thing to be from the Eastside if you were black.
The SouthHill: Like I mentioned, the south hill kinda gets an eastside pass, because you can walk up the trail from Liberty Park and be on the South hill in no time. Or if you're at Underhill Park you can walk up that hill, take the trail all the way across, look over Altamont and keep it crackin'. Now, the REAL Southhill, where Ferris is located. You have your few black folks up there too, and they would come down and parlay with the East side folks from time to time--trying to get their hood stripes! lol
The Valley: We won't even go there....no disrespect.....well yeah you guys suck.
If you went to Libby Middle School, you're the amongst the coolest of the cool from Spokane. I mean I won't go into elementary schools or high school because really those didn't matter. Libby was the ISH! Yeah you scrub who went to Sac....yeah well you all are a bunch of tools who WISHED you went to Libby. Why? Because we're on the east side! I can't think of a better junior high that was more notorious than Libby???
I made GREAT lifetime friends in Spokane! A lot of firsts in Spokane too! I have a love hate with it. I loved it growing up, but hate it as an adult because that "feeling" is just gone from the place I used to love sooooo much!
Enough about me boasting on my neighborhood, lets move the subject to my favorite topic: FOOD
Spokane has the BEST fast food in the world. I blame Spokane for the reason I had to have my gallbladder removed when I was 17! Well not totally, but it was basically because I consumed too much fatty, greasy foods! Why because I love to EAT and SPOKANE is the place to eat.
Restaurant sound off:
Taco Time: Crispy Meat Burrito, Mexi Fries, Taco Burger....man what???
DICK'S Or The Panda (depends on your generation): The Whammy, Large Fry WITH TARTAR, Pink Indian, Chicken Snack
Zips: Belly Buster, Papa Joe, Bucket o' fries WITH TARTAR, Chicken strips, fried shrimp basket
Pizza Pipeline: When the slices were .75 per slice...mmmmm
KFC: When my home girls worked there and I could get the Chicken Littles 4 for a $1.50 or a 2 piece snack
Rocky Rococo's: Breadsticks with the Alfredo Sauce
Frankie Doodles: After any club go in there and just eat up some ish
Skippers: 2 piece fish basket with clam chowder
As you can see I could go on....but let me stop because I'm hungry, and I'm getting homesick.

Belly busters...who could forget them? And Lisa...I went to Libby and it just wasn't all that cool cuz! :)Keep writing!
ReplyDeleteI still hit up double R (Rocky Rococo's) when I'm in The 'Can!
LOL, I LOVED Libby....I hated Ferris. I keep thinking of doing a blog about Ferris...we'll see because I can not stand Ferris AT ALL! lol
ReplyDelete