Skip to main content

Life with Sickle Cell: Conclusion, but it ain't over


It's a wrap, Sickle Cell Awareness Month comes to an end!   I am so proud of those who donated to Sickle Cell, reposted my blogs and joined me in the conversation of Sickle Cell—this is all part of awareness.  Please, let my experience be the conversation you have for years to come as you make others aware of Sickle Cell!  

In conclusion to my Sickle Cell journey, I will wrap up with my last, horrific hospitalization.  For many of you, you read the, “Won’t he do it” blog from 2015 when I spoke on the experience of the hospitalization, but if you did not read it, here is the link to get caught up, look you get 2 blogs in 1! 
In short, in 2014 I started to have breathing issues and it all started after I participated in the Sickle Cell walk (ironically).  It felt as though a gorilla was holding an elephant and they’re sitting on my chest, and the feeling of not being able to properly breathe makes you feel disoriented and scared at the same time, and by now you know me, I refused to go to the hospital.   However, within 2014 - 2015 I went through a series of sleep tests, oxygen masks, pulmonary tests and everything was simply attributed to sickle cell, but nothing specific.  

Well, in November 2015 I was hospitalized for what they thought was pneumonia.  I was in the hospital for 6 days the week of Thanksgiving! Talk about feeling lonely!   Granted I had my WONDERFUL friends, frat and sorors who visited me EVERY DAY during the day and even on the Thanksgiving holiday, but it was at night when the loneliness seeped into my mind and it was literally me and God in that hospital room after visiting hours. 

I'm not saying God instructed me to move home to Washington, but he certainly showed me the reality of being "sickly" without a relative or significant other.   I was released from the hospital the Saturday after Thanksgiving only to end up back there two weeks before Christmas for another 3 day stay.  This time they found that it wasn't pneumonia, but instead pulmonary embolism...blood clots in my lungs.  HOLY SHIT!  See, there was a gorilla and an elephant in my little lungs!

Two hospital stays within a month, both times equally nerve wrecking.  Seemingly I bounced back, but again at night when the world stopped, my head was on the pillow and I lay awake starring out my bedroom window, I couldn't help but constantly feel alone.  Could this be depression?  Could it be anxiety? Simple loneliness? I mean,  professionally I was growing, socially I was at my peak, but the fear of being sick and alone in my apartment was to overwhelming.  Dying alone was suffocating me at night...literally.

So, April 2016 I made an emotional decision to move back to Washington.  While my friends in Maryland questioned my haste decision, they supported me and helped with that transition.  My family in Washington naturally was excited to have me back, but I don't think they really understood what I was leaving in Maryland and how taxing it was on me mentally, physically, financially and emotionally for me to actually make the move.  Here I was coming back to the state where there lacked sickle cell support and my family was clueless about my disease, yet I wanted to be closer to them.  In my mind, MY FAMILY should be responsible for me, not my frat/sorors, yet now looking back, it was my friends/frat/sorors who took care of me the most...and I left them.  Yeah, that part.  I'm back to laying awake at night starring this time up at my ceiling (no more fly ass downtown apartment), tears streaming down, screaming in my head WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO, LISA?
I miss this view and this apartment in Baltimore.  WHY DID I LEAVE IT?

So, how am I doing today?  Today I'm kool and the gang.  I have a great doctor, Dr. Adesina who is Nigerian and her main focus is Sickle Cell!  I've had minor issues here and there and had to have an emergency blood transfusion April 2018, but I was not admitted (that was another horrific experience, but I won't go into it). 
Shout out to all you blood donors out there THANK YOU! 

Ironically, I did not tell my family I was in the ER until I was released.  Perhaps it was habit of doing the sick thing by myself, or it was this feeling of again not wanting to be a burden, yet being with family was the reason I moved home.  Funny, if you read my "Dating over 40" blog, Distant Derrick was the one who convinced me to go to the ER and was on the phone with me my entire ride to the ER and my check in process. 

Recently, I came across the Stem Cell transplant for Sickle Cell patients at NIH (thank you, Tranise).  This type of transplant would not necessarily cure me, but reduce my need for transfusions or any pulmonary issues in the future.  While I do prequalify for it,  both my doctor here in Seattle and my NIH nurses are discussing if it is really suitable for me since I do not have as many crisis as the average sickle cell patient.  Naturally, I will keep you all posted on if I become a candidate and I head to NIH for the transplant. 

What I want you all to take away from my experience:

1. While Sickle Cell patients may look fine, most times they're silently suffering.
2. Hospitals generally think we're drug seeking because we "appear" to be fine. WE'RE IN PAIN
3. More GENETIC TESTING!  Know your family health history
4. If you cannot donate dollars, DONATE BLOOD!
5. EMOTIONAL SUPPORT is appreciated more than you know. 
6. EDUCATE & ADVOCATE!
7.  I'm not the only one with Sickle Cell, I'm the only one who shared her story.  Reach out to those silent sufferers.

Until next time, keep me in thought while you're out there spreading the awareness of Sickle Cell Disease! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...