Skip to main content

Breaking the Rules…of engagement


When I was 13, my big brother, Dre hit me with the coldest definition of Lisa Queen ever, he was like, “you know what, you’re such a primadonna!”    

My ditzy self didn’t know what it meant, I thought it was a compliment because Zapp & Roger says it in, “Computer Love” 

“From hot sexy mommas
To cool primadonnas...”


Well, it wasn’t until I busted out the dictionary…yes that is what we had to do back then, we didn’t have Google or Wikipedia back then…a dictionary, dammit!

Anyhow, so I look up the meaning of Primadonna and was appalled and disillusioned that my brother thought so negatively of me!!!  Talk about feelings being crushed I was super hurt and in my feelings.  But check this out, it was good for me though because if you don’t have a big brother, you don’t know, that HE is the FIRST man to BREAK your heart and hurt your feelings.  I thank God for having him because now, most times when men say things to me out of spite, I’m like “ you can’t tell me nothing my brother hasn’t already told me, you punk!”  

So, according to Wikipedia (ain’t nobody got time for dictionaries now):

 Primadonna: From its original usage in opera, the term "prima donna" has come into common usage in any field denoting someone who behaves in a demanding, often temperamental fashion, revealing an inflated view of themselves, their talent, and their importance. Due to this association, the contemporary meaning of the word has taken on this negative connotation of a vain, undisciplined, egotistical, obnoxious or temperamental person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team but whose contributions are essential to the success of a team. 

I’m clutching my pearls!!!  What?  Me?  No, no, no.  Okay, lets read this again.

Inflated views of themselves and their importance…I mean damn, if I don’t think I’m the bomb, who else will?  I’m the bomb baby!  You don’t know, you better ask somebody, quick!!!  

 
Well actually, the name is LisaQueen! But yes Cookie, YESSS
 

Behaves in a demanding often temperamental fashion…. If I have high expectations and demands of myself, more than likely I expect that you're going to be somewhat on my level, meaning, you have a high esteem of your own damn self.  Additionally, I typically don't sugar coat anything and talk in a curt and matter-of-fact tone.  I'm not demanding, I just don't always have time to pull the sugar out when I ask you to do something.


Egotistical…. in my Beyonce voice, “I got a big egooooooo”  But I blame my ego on hip hop.  Hey, look at every good hip hop star, they all have big egos, so over the years of listening to hip hop, I manifested those egos. lol  (totally not taking the blame for my own actions, lol)

Finds it difficult to work under direction…. in my Rick Ross voice, “Bitch, because I’m a boss!”  I don’t follow any directions…and I break all the rules!  Aaaahhhhaaaa

But for real, if anyone knows me, ya'll know I'm no where on the level of Cookie...well, I might be a mini bite sized Cookie. But ya'll gotta admit, Cookie is a bad motha...shut your mouth!!!!  She is Queen Bitch, Supreme Bitch!!!!  As for me, I'm loving, funny, sarcastic at best, witty and extremely laid back.

Okay, moving along, moving along....

So, in a recent argument with a former love, he blurted out, “you know your problem, Lisa, you don’t know the rules of engagement!” 

DeJaVu, because it was 10 years prior that in a similar argument with a former beau, he said, “Lisa, your problem is you don’t know the rules of engagement.”

Okay, the first time it was said to me, I really didn’t take heed to what he was saying because I thought he was just being a Lisa hater.   


But now, 10 years later, I hear the same thing from someone else, okay, perhaps I need to re-evaluate this, because you know, life is all about self-improvement.  Don't let my "blog persona" fool you, I am truly humble, down to earth and certainly open-minded enough to take into consideration what people say/think about me.   Plus it's part of the multilayer process of finding out why I'm single...I'm about to break all that down for you right quick, but in short, it's because I'm hard-headed and stubborn.

First of all, I honestly don’t know anything about Rules of Engagement except that it was a movie starring, my nigga Samuel L Jackson—that I didn’t watch.   

Secondly, I know that Rules of Engagement refers to some military action—according to Wikipedia.  So with that said, in my Miss Sophia voice, “Hell nah” I don’t know about Rules of Engagement, so how can I follow rules I know nothing about. 

Now, don’t get me wrong, I have common sense, I know what these men are referring to when they tell me I don’t know how to follow rules of engagement.  Meaning that I totally entertain, or in this case, "engage" other men when dealing with other men.  Yet, because I'm a primadonna, the rules of engagement clearly don’t apply to me! 

Let me say this though, I’m not disrespectful with mine, but I have been known to “entertain” some harmless flirting while in relationships or “situationships” with other men.  HOWEVER let the record reflect,  I entertain other men when I feel as though I am not center stage in a man’s life.  If you’re not giving me attention, the love, the care, the support, the affection I "demand", then you know how the story goes…what one man won’t do, the next man will.   For example, if a man is sending me drinks across the bar and I drink that drink…well shit, what you want me to do, send it back even though you haven’t bought me a drink and technically you're not my man? I guess I broke that rule. 

If a man invites me to thanksgiving dinner knowing I have no family here in Maryland, yet you haven’t invited me ANYWHERE for thanksgiving…uh, yes, I’m taking him up on the invite to meet his momma, clearly you don’t think I’m worthy of meeting your mom.  So, yes, I do find it difficult to work under certain “directions” of rules of engagement…nigga! 

I sometimes feel that because I’m so sassy, direct, and “abrasive” (Fred), that the men in my life try to “control” me by placing certain expectations and parameters on me before we’ve even set the stage to what we’re doing.  I might have over thought that one, because after all,  I do have an inflated view of myself.  

 My whatever face 

My point is,  if we’re not together in a relationship and we’re just “talking” then you can not expect me to follow any type of “rules” or expectations that I don’t know you’ve placed on me.  

Granted, I should just "know".  Meaning, that once I start "talking" to or "dating" a man, I "should" cut off allllllll other men in my life as a gesture of my seriousness to the man I'm dating.  Sorry bruh, ain't happening.  Now, when I was young, dumb and gullible at 25 years old yes, I did that, but I've been played one too many times by men who themselves were breaking the rules of engagement!  

Now, this could be the primadonna in me who has the inflated view of myself (can you tell I HATE that definition), but men love a certain freedom and feel as though until their situation is on lock, they can be fluid in their approach to women and relationships.  Well I think the same way, therefore the glitch in the Matrix is that men don't want women doing what they do. Sorry to tell you baby boo boo until you claim me, put a ring on my finger, lock me down, put your foot on my neck…then I’m gonna do me.  No apologies, but sorry, deal with it.  I am who I am…just ask my brother.  The Rules of Engagement,  yeah baby I break bad on those!  

Coming to you live and direct from the temple of Malisea Queen, where she's listening to Computer Love, breaking rules by texting three different men telling them "Good Morning Handsome" and telling you to forget Oreos eat Lisa Queen cookies, I'm Bad!! 

 This blog is dedicated to my two favorite people, DeAndre Mallory and Cookie Lyon!  Dammit, Dre, I'm NOT a Prima Donna....well, maybe, just a little.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...