Skip to main content

East, West, White and Black…The Boyfriends


So, a particular video recently posted on Facebook regarding how black women are more submissive when they date/marry white men.  Naturally, the video infuriated me because it has nothing to do with color/race, but how people treat one another within the confines of the relationship.  HOWEVER, I do believe, in my own experience there IS a difference between dating black men versus dating white men.  But then again, I am the same person who believes there is a difference in dating East Coast men versus West Coast men.  So sit back, grab your favorite drink and roll with me while I elaborate on my own personal dating experiences. 

WHITE GUYS:
Like MJ said, it doesn't matter if you're black or white

First, let me say, growing up, and even now, I have/had a hard time with seeing black men date white women.  Mostly because it felt like rejection to me, hell it was rejection because the men in my hometown did not want me AT ALL!   I grew up being over looked for YEARS!!!  I have a complex about that...the feeling of not being good enough because of my race by my own race is really a serious issue.  Some guys back home will argue that it's the "Lisa is the homie" factor, but it was also the, "White girls seemed more "willing" and more alluring" factor.  That is my disclaimer, that for a long time I had an issue with interracial dating...until, white guys started dating me.... at that point, who cared about race??? LOL  Love is color blind, dammit!!!

The first guy I ever made out with, was white.  It was the most amazing and horrific experience EVER.  I won’t elaborate on the entire story, but in short, we made out in his car after a school trip to WSU my senior year, and needless to say I was on cloud nine...until his girlfriend found out.  

Pause!!!

Damn, was that my first side chick experience?  I do believe it was!!!  I swear, I begrudgingly have to admit; I’ve been a sidepiece since I was 17!  I could look at it, as I’m overly desired, but the downfall is, I am a home wrecker!  Not by choice tho!!!  I swear to goodness…my momma did NOT RAISE me this way, but what can I say, I'm irresistible…just ask your man!!! WHOOP!  

Don’t worry, it’s my wit and personality, it has nothing to do with my sexual allure, because I don't have sexual allure, lol wellllllll, maybe a little!!!  I'm JUST KIDDING...or am I?

Anyways, back to white guys. 

I’ve dated two white guys, both who I hold extremely close to my heart because they were the first loves of my life.  One who was my first REAL BOYFRIEND, and I was so open!  But he made me totally open to him, it was easy to love him and I thought all relationships were suppose to be that easy.  Well they should be easy, who wants a complicated relationship anyway?   Well, moving along...

The joys of dating white men:
  • White men are in awe of my beautiful brown skin. Period. They love it!
  • Conversation on race relations and our interracial relationship were very engaging
  • They're much more gentle in ALL ASPECTS. Talk, touch, sex...everything
  • Always told me how beautiful I was...ALWAYS
  • Did not play games!!  Never worried about other women
  • PDA, always showed me affection. Not heavy PDA, but subtle, gentle and always on time
  • Always up for an adventure
  • Introduce me to things outside of the norm--you know things black folks "don't do"
  • VERY SENSUAL
  • Honest, even when it hurt me--they told me the truth in a diplomatic way
  • Always made time for me and paid attention to my needs, my wants and my desires
Now, I could go on longer, but that sums up the joys of dating white men, FOR ME!  Now, there are some who may experience something different.  However, for me it was "something new"!

BLACK MEN: WEST COAST

Here comes the curve ball, because dating black men for me was a totally different experience due to the coast I was living on.  After dating two white men on the west coast, my experience with black men on the west coast was always dramatic--to say the least.

Let me say, I am NOT here to bash men on the West Coast!!  I have my faults in the failed relationships with men on the west coast; however, those relationships weren't healthy and were very toxic.  I have myself to blame because I kept attracting the same type of men...however, I thought I needed this certain type of man for my sassy personality.  You know ladies, the "bad boy", or the "gangsta"or the "hustla".
If your dude didn't look like he stepped out of a West Coast hip hop video, sorry boo, your dude is a square.  Period.  I needed white t-shirt, creased jeans, K-Swiss and smelling like fresh cologne mixed with some chronic or Hennessy.  Don't judge me, I was just going with the trend in what I "thought" I liked in a man.  And trust me, it was fun...but that's all it was, just fun. 

I have found that my generation of black men who live on the west coast have engrained in their minds that, "b*tches ain't sh*t but hoes and tricks", therefore, they treated us as such, and we accepted it.

Growing up to Snoop, Ice Cube. Too $hort, E-40, black men on the west coast were subliminally taught to really hate black women with songs like, "Ain't no fun if the homies can't have none" (my personal favorite), "A bitch is a bitch", "Captain Save a Hoe"...shall I go on?  



Whereas on the East Coast, LL Cool J was singing, "I Need Love" and putting black women on pedestals.   A Tribe Called Quest was singing about an Electric Relaxation and Heavy D had nothing but love for ya!!! So subliminally, black men on the east coast were hearing positive reinforcements of love to black women.

Now, being the loyal woman that I am to my west coast brothas, I went along with the derogation of women, because I was young and dumb.  So, unfortunately as a result of negative influences in music I dated men who: didn't care about courting a young lady, thought it was cool to be a player and have multiple women, never spent money on women because it was called, "trickin", never opened doors for a woman because that was deemed, "a sucka".  LL Cool J was laying down jackets so women can walk over a puddle, whereas we all know what Too $hort's favorite word is.... BITCH!!!!

I'm not saying we should blame the music in regards to the dysfunction in black relationships, but we certainly can't ignore it either.  I don't proclaim to be a hip hop-culture theorist, but I'm certainly intelligent enough to form my own theories based on my life experiences.... particularly with dating.   

One could argue, "well, Malisea, you dated hood boys, so that's what you get!"  And that is very true, however, unlike the East Coast, there isn't an HBCU around every corner, so getting a college boy was very slim...and if they're in school in Washington, chances are, they're from out of state and did NOT grow up on the West Coast. The military men I dated, same thing, they weren't from the West Coast, but I thought they were square bears...zzz boring.  There is a good crop of dudes in Washington; however, I was deemed the "homie" so they didn't date me. 

But let me tell you what I love about West Coast Black men:
  • They may not express how they feel verbally, but will certainly show you in subtle ways
  • Will ride for their girl
  • Not insecure, have strong egos
  • Will be dammed if another dude rolls up on their girl, or it's a problem
  •  LOYAL!!!
  • Most are VERY athletic
  • Can have FUN!!!
  • So laid back!!!! 
  • Genuine!  Some of the most sincere men. Nothing ever fake or pretentious
  • Street smarts on 100! 
  • Can make the best friends and it really be platonic--no hidden agenda
  • They're VERY high on RESPECT! no one likes disrespect, but WC men handle it different
  • SWAG IS ON FIRE!!!


Now, someone might argue again, "Lisa, these are all personal attributes, not an attribute of an entire subset of men."  Again, this is MY EXPERIENCE in dating men on the west coast and watching my west coast friends deal with west coast knuckleheads.  I will say, my last west coast lover taught me so much about life it was ridiculous, but unfortunately, he didn't show me anything about being in a fulfilling relationship.  If anything, we just loved each other without any goals, without any direction, it was very fun...but no focus, no real intent, just fun. 



BLACK MEN: EAST COAST:
I moved to the East Coast still having a west coast mentality, especially when it came to dating.  The guy who I fell for here on the East Coast turned my world totally upside down, and I wasn't mature enough to handle it.  He was the first black guy to actually take me on dates and do things for me that was in the realm of chivalry.   He talked to me gently, not hard core like west coast men. The west coast men NEVER took me on a date unless I suggested it.  He bought me flowers, my first time EVER getting flowers from a man and not just flowers, fall sunflowers, because my birthday is in the fall, and we both loved fall.  He was the very first man to MAKE LOVE TO ME.  Now, the white boyfriend made love to me, but it was different...and as I type this, I'm trying to figure out the way to explain the difference.  I can't put my finger on it, but it was just different.  I guess because it was the first time I had EVER been made love to by a black man.   The relationship didn't last...blame me.  I won't throw myself under the bus, but I EFFED it up.  That's all I can say...just know that I own that failed relationship.


Anyways, I went on to date other east coast men and had a very loving and fulfilling relationship/friendship with my East Coast love of 8 years and he again showed me that East Coast men and West coast men are just different. I will say, I NEVER had to worry about being cheated on until I moved to the East Coast.  On the West Coast, I had never been cheated on (if I wasn't the side chick), it wasn't until I got to the East Coast that I got cheated on or was placed in the situation of unknowingly being the side chick, not by choice. 

East Coast men are:
  • Aggressive in their approach
  • Serious
  • Do NOT like competition.  Won't ride for their girl, they'll quicker leave her and let the next man have her.  Not sure if that is good or bad, but I think fighting for your girl is kinda romantic, lol
  • A little bit more established
  • Respectable of women in general
  • Not afraid to take women on dates and be a gentleman
  • Wants to spend time with their ladies
  • Protective
  • Smooth.  Casanova smooth. Like Makers Mark smooth
  • Supportive
  • Great Fashion 
  • Not intimidated by a strong, successful black woman, seemingly, they're surrounded by them
  • Successful (in their lives--not according to Forbes or anything)
  • College educated (all the ones I've dated)
YESSSS!!! That Grown n' Sexy smoothness!!!  East Coast Men have this down to a T!

At the end of the day, it boils down to the individuals.   I've dated some lying ass, immature, cheating, no good East Coast men.  I've dated some loving, generous, loyal west coast men. I've been in fulfilling relationships with white men and black men.  Matter of fact, I have no idea what I'm talking about...why do you guys even read my blogs?? 

LOL, until next time...

Coming to you live and direct from the temple of MaLisea Queen where all she wants is love and it doesn't matter if he's white or black or east or west coast!!! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...