Skip to main content

Mercy, Mercy, Maya!


Today, society lost someone who has stood as a pillar of importance, awareness and statue.  Today, we mourn the loss of Dr. Maya Angelou.  


I’ve been slippin on my writing and my blogs, so you know I’m moved if I’m submitting this blog mid-day.

My heart is heavy for many reasons—it’s Maya Angelou!  The woman, who when I was 19, I read her poetry and thought, “wow, I wish I could be as prolific as this great writer.”  

I remember writing a paper for my community college English class, and I chose to write about, Robert Mapplethorpe.  If you don’t know him, pause and carry yourself on over to Google—he’s an artist.   

Anyways, I wanted to be different and out-of-the box with my subject matter.  Well, I received like a 70% on that paper.  

The next paper, I chose to illustrate poetry through Bob Marley.  I received like an 80% on that paper.  I for sure thought my instructor was hating on me!  I’m Lisa Queen, the one thing I can do and LIKE to do is write a paper!  I’m a researching and writing fool when I wanna be, and on Bob Marley!!! C’mon son, C’MON!  I know and LOVE Bob Marley—this teacher is hating! 



Then something happened.  My instructor asked me to stay after class—I knew I was in trouble.  She didn’t say anything immediately, she told me to walk with her to her office.  Keep in mind, I’m in a community college in Yakima, WA, so I shouldn’t have to preface that my instructor was a white woman. 

Anyways, we get to her office; she talked to me about the subjects of my papers.  While my papers were interesting, she said, “Lisa, you strike me as someone who enjoys literature, and you have a way of capturing an audience, however, the subject matters for you are a bit shallow.” 

I was offended—of course, I have a LARGE ego.  


Nevertheless, she handed me a book, “Now Sheba Sings the Song” by Maya Angelou. 


 She looked at me and said, “ I know you’re familiar with Maya Angelou, right?” 

I nodded my head, but it was because pride wouldn’t let me tell this white professor that I had only read one poem by Maya Angelou, however, I wanted to give the illusion that I knew ALLLL about MY great poet, Ms. Maya. 

My instructor leaned forward and said, “good, I want you to have this book—it was given to me by my art professor, and I’m giving it to you as a source of inspiration.” 
She smiled. 

I took the book both graciously and embarrassed all at the same time.   

Why wasn’t I pulling inspiration from Maya Angelou in the first place?  Perhaps I didn’t want to seem too cliche.   You know black girl, in a white class, writing about a black poet.   

Nevertheless, I picked my pride off the floor, pulled inspiration from the book after reading it 10 times and going to the library and checking out all the works of Maya Angelou I could get my hands on!!!   

I wrote my final paper, not on Maya Angelou, but on the history of Black American poets: Maya Angelou, Zora Neal Hurston, and Langton Hughes.  I received a 95% on that paper!!!   Ya’ll know my grammatical errors pop up more often than I’d like, therefore I didn't receive 100%!  Lol 

Anyways, from that time on, I emerged myself into knowing the greatness of my culture, of our writers, of our historians and of my great blackness!  It took my white instructor at Yakima Valley Community College to push that door open in my mind. 

Fast forward to almost 20 years later and into the birth of social media.

Today, I’m sadden as I look at statuses on Facebook and pictures on Instagram of people paying homage to the legendary and honorable woman of Dr. Maya Angelou.  I'm sadden with disgust.  I can't help but become angry as I see a few of these people who I KNOW for a fact are the same people who like to talk behind others backs, throw unprecedented amounts of shade to others, criticize ones fashion or choice of hair –natural or straight.   Hell, I’m guilty of it, too.   The society of mean people.   Shallow AND mean people, at that!!! That is NOT what Dr. Angelou was about.  Not at all!



What gets me heated is that they’re the same ones posting “Phenomenal Woman” poems and quotes, yet they don’t even know what it means to be phenomenal.    You can’t be mean and phenomenal at the same time.  Dr. Angelou did not teach us that in her poem.

She was teaching us to be confident—not conceited.   

She was teaching us to embrace ourselves, not gloat in “collecting haters”.   

She was teaching us to know our worth, not tear down the next person to try and prove you’re better. 

Being Phenomenal means having integrity...

oh, the irony!!! 


I’m certain only 4 or 5 people will read this long-winded blog, but that’s okay, those who waited, I’m sorry I kept you waiting.  A writer is only urged when moved.  I was moved.  LOL 


Coming live and direct from the temple of Lisa Queen who is reminiscing of a time of enlightenment and mourning the loss of a poet, actress, activist, singer, performer, writer and the truest Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou! Salute! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...