Skip to main content

God Spoke to me today...


God spoke to me today.  I’m not crazy.  Just read what I’m about to share with you and then, lend me your thoughts—key word is, “lend” because not all the time will I take heed to your opinions. 

To start, I’m a firm believer in that we all have a higher supreme being that created you, me, the world, and all of its wonders.  Now, whether you claim Atheist and believe we evolved from apes, that’s fine…but someone had to create the monkeys, right? 

I also believe that God lives in side of each and every living thing.  It is up to us on if we want that Holy Spirit to remain dormant, or if we listen to it when it speaks or moves you.    Ever been somewhere and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up because you know either something is about to pop off or you just don’t get a good vibe from the people in the room.  That’s God and the Holy Spirit in you telling you to get the hell out of dodge or at least be VERY AWARE. 

Anyways, with that said, I believe people, through God, come into our lives for a reason. Whether it is for a lifetime or for a span of 10 minutes.   In this instance, God spoke to me through a stranger today at the shuttle bus stop at work.

Check it, so, it’s Wednesday, I got off early because it is the day before the fourth of July.  I’m not dressed all cute, matter of fact, this is what I looked like today:

See, nothing out of the ordinary. Not all dolled up like my FB profile picture!  Yeah!  Matter of fact, a sista needs her eyebrows done and certainly can use a facial.  


Anyways!!!!

This man, I would guess in his mid to late 50’s, African American, a bit overweight, with a light complexion walked directly up to me and said, “you know you’re beautiful, right?”  

Pause.  Yes, I hear all the time men trying to pick me up and say things like that.  So, of course I assume, this old playa was about to spit some game, but watch how the story goes.

I chuckle a bit, but I don’t respond to his question of, “You know you’re beautiful, right.”  I’m modest.  I know I’m not Wanda from In Living Color,
 but I also know I’m no Kerry Washington or Kelly Rowland or Naomi Campbell (those are my images of beauty).  So because I kinda chuckled, he said, “I’m not trying to pick you up, I’m too old for that, but I think you should know you’re beautiful, but its obvious you don’t think.”

WOW!!!!  Okay.  So now I have a silly grin on my face because I don’t know what to say.  I tend to laugh when I get nervous or scared.  I’m feeling a little bit of both at the moment.

I respond to this man by saying a simple, “thank you.”

He continues:

“Well, does your husband or boyfriend tell you that you’re beautiful, because he should.” 

Uh oh, he hit a hot button with me, “Husband.”  It’s a hot button because it triggers something in my psyche to respond negatively, therefore my response was, “well, sir, obviously I’m not too beautiful, I don’t have a husband or boyfriend.”

This is when the God in this man started to talk to me:

“How old are you? 23?” he asked
“I’m 37” I said, with a deflated tone.
“You’re beautiful at 37, but you have to believe it.  Don’t let your age deter you from the fact that you’re not married.  Marriage is for mature people and not to say you’re immature, but your husband has to be mature in order to appreciate you and who you are.  Look at you standing here, tall, not an ounce of fat on you, big beautiful eyes, and a great smile, yet you don’t believe in your own beauty, how do you expect someone else to?”

Ya’ll I’m flabbergasted by the conversation.  But I’m still a bit deflated by the fact I’m admitting to this stranger I’m single at 37. 

So I respond, “Whenever I think highly of myself or walk with confidence, I’m stereotyped as siddity, stuck up or intimidating.” 

His response:
“By who? Immature people?  Low self esteem people?  Because those are the only ones who would say something like that to you or think that of you.  The men of your past only wanted your physical beauty and that’s why they’re not your husbands now.  God doesn’t make any mistakes, your beauty can’t be tainted by those who aren’t ready to nurture and care for it.  Beyond your outer appearance, I can tell you’re beautiful and obviously modest. “

The conversation went on to ask what I did for a living, and how he was a cancer patient seeking therapy at NIH (where I work), and that he refuses to get radiation, but will experiment with new medications.  He said he understand he needs to change his diet, but knows God has him dealing with Cancer for a reason. 

Then of course, the human side of him kicked in when he said, “What are you doing, waiting for the bus?  I can give you a ride.” 

I laughed and said, “I do not ride with strangers.  Stranger Danger.  But thank you, I’m just going to the other side of campus and just don’t want to walk in the rain.” 

At that point, my shuttle appeared, and he said, “It was nice talking to you.” 

I got on the bus and didn’t think anything of the conversation until I started driving home and recapped the conversation in my head, and thought.  “God, that had to be you—it just had to be.” that conversation was way too random, yet right on time.  Only God could have orchestrated that one.   And honestly, if I was dolled up, would I have received the message the same way as I did today, looking ordinary.   Probably not.  Again, it was God.

I’m 37 years old and single.  I’ve had my share of ups and downs with relationships.  I’ve been lied to, cheated on, manipulated, taken for granted, deceived, used, abused and some more.  As I mentally catalog my past relationships, I realize each of those men had their purpose in my life to experience love, laughter, pain, compromise, lust, sacrifice, humility, compassion, intimacy and friendship.  However, it is clear that none of them were the ones for me or that God has chosen for me, because if so, it would have happened by now.  But clearly he (my future husband) or I aren't ready yet.    I mean lets be real, I'm planning on going to Vegas in Sept for my birthday, and I'm looking to get all the way turnt up, no husband of mine would condone the behavior I'm looking to get into! :) 

Anyways, I will close with this:

I have this special friend, and when I say special, not just to me and my heart, but that the nigga is spppecial, like ain’t no one else like him, he a bit crazy if you ask me, anyways, his name is Maineack B.   Anyways, Mr. B told me 12 years ago, “Lisa, you’re a million dollar lottery ticket, and I just hit the lottery.  I might not deserve to win—hell, I might trick off the winnings or lose all of it to the game, but I’m going to bask in the glory of being the winner, but believe me, any man would break their right arm or betray their best friend just to be a winner and have you right now.” 

At first, I thought it was some smooth ass game, Mr. B was laying on mighty THICK, and he was right, he did trick off the winnings.  However, what I learned from him was my value.  At the time, I didn’t believe it, I just listened to the game and let it marinate…until now.  Now, I recognize that people see in you what you sometimes don't even see in yourself.  That is so divine.  But check this out, now I know, I’m a billion dollar lottery ticket and the next winner will bask in his winnings because we’ll both be ready!  not to say I suffered from low self esteem, but I certainly have my bouts with doubting myself. 
Thank you, God for using that man to talk to me.  They say, You talk to us, we just have to be aware and listen—and today I listened, and I love you too, Lord.   But really, you’re gonna send my man before 40, right? Just kidding, I know, I know, it’s all in your timing, but the tock is ticking, like for real Lord, and its LOUD! 

Anyways, ya'll I just had to share, hope you enjoyed the read and I certainly would love to hear your thoughts.   Remember, we're all a work in progress.  You keep going and keep GROWING until the day you die!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...