Skip to main content

Job Chronicles: A Speck of Coffee in A Jar of Sugar


It’s spring again, every body knows its spring again!  

Hello everyone, have you missed me?  Yeah right!

I know you all were cussing my name, “what kind of blogger takes a hiatus in the middle of a blogger series?”   Yeah, yours truly…but I’m back!  Like Ike told Tina, “yeah Anna Mae, I’m back, just as bold and black as ever!” 

Pause....Tina tried to act like she wasn't scared.  First thing she asked was, "how you get past security?"  She knew Ike would go there, but Ike knew he was on probation and couldn't be messing around with Tina...see, they only tell us half the story...Tina's ass was shook, don't play!

So, we left off with me starting the wonderful PR job where our one and only client was ba, da, ba, ba, ba….McDonald’s!   Who would have guessed that I would land such a job?!?  Was it luck?  Was it my skillful and proven interview skills?  Was it part of God’s divine plan for me?  Well, no matter the reason I was placed in that PR office at that time.  And let me forewarn you, it was an experience like no other.

First, let me paint the picture of the location of our office….on the campus of Under Armour!  Yes, the rapidly growing athletic company.  


 And for those of you who live in Baltimore, you know that the HQ is right on the water at Tide Point.  Needless to say, it was a nice set up. 


 Nicest office location I had ever worked!  Beautiful area to work, very athletic, and super rich white folks straight out of Harvard, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Duke...all jogging around the campus in their perfect bodies looking hot like Bradley Cooper! 

And Mark Wahlberg
And Tatum Channing
Sorry, I had a white boy moment, but the point is, I was in white boy heaven!!!!!  Jealous huh?  Don't be because clearly in Baltimore, white boys don't date black girls, modern day segregation....I miss the west coast! 

 Okay, so now you have that image, you know what’s next?  Yep, no people of color.   Therefore, I had to put on my fake white girl voice...“Oh my gosh, I’m totally fat, I can’t believe I wear a size 4—working for McDonald’s will totally make me  a lard ass in a size 6!”  Sike, chile please, black girls would be ready to WorldStar Hiphop my ass for saying something like that. 


Pause: What happen to society where we are quick to pull out our cell phones and take pictures or record fights, but don't wanna help or call someone to break it up?  First thing, you see a fight, you immediately whip out your cell phone.  C'mon people, we have to do better.  When North Korea bombs us, don't pull out your phone to take pictures of it....RUN!!!!  Oh and don't get it twisted, ya'll may wanna turn on CNN, North Korea is NOT playing right now.   And what the hell is Dennis Rodman doing in North Korea anyway?  
Obama...get your boy Dennis and make sure he don't say no dumb shit that will make Kim Jong Un bomb us any sooner than they're rhetoric is leading on to.

My first few months was all about getting acclimated to the world of PR.  I must say, I am the type who thinks she knows EVERYTHING.  I don’t think I’m super IQ, but I feel that with my experience in so many industries, that I know a lot about a lot of shit.  But quickly, I was brought down to reality and realized, I didn’t know shit, and totally took my college experience for granted.  Working in agency life is like going to grad school except with mean white girls. 

My job title was a Senior Account Executive in an office with another Sr. Account Exec who started the agency a little over a year prior to me.  She was the prototypical daddy’s girl!  A 24 year old blond who at times was totally clueless about life, very spoiled, who went to a big name school, and only had one job prior to the one at the agency, but thought because she listened to Hip Hop and watched Real Housewives of Atlanta thought she was “down”.   

Next, was my director, the one who hired me.  She and I were the same age, but you wouldn’t know it.  Either I’m super immature (well I can be), or she acts like a 50 year old.  Either way, you would have never guessed we were born in the same year.  She was married, two kids, husband, charmed life…but scared of her own shadow.   Have you ever met someone who is scared of EVERYTHING!  She was scared of the client, scared of food, scared of the city, scared of terrorist, scared of bugs, scared of waking up to face another day!  And most certainly, scared of black people.  Don’t get me wrong, she never came across as totally prejudice, racist, or anything, but certainly my “black spidey senses” told me, “she don’t bang with black folks and its not that she is racist, but I smell black fear. ”  Yep, I grew up on Chuck D, I know what's up!  It takes a NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK!!!



Moving on...

Then there was our boss, the deputy director of our agency who was…..wait for it…African American!!! Okay wait…she was on that Beyonce shit, you know where she claims to be French, Spanish, Native American, and LAST, African American, but when she walks in a room everyone clearly sees a black woman first.  She was the type that in a room full of black folks she was black, loved Frankie Beverly and Maze and ate greens with ham hocks, but when we were around white people, she couldn't tell you the difference between Mary J. Blige and Keyshia Cole, and that is a BIG DIFFERENCE.  Speaking of Keyshia, (as I shake my head), girlfriend, Beyonce did that on you, she told you to have several seats!!!! 

  
 I know that bi-racial people tend to say they have to embrace who they are, but what I don't like is the accommodating to who you're around.  If you're mixed and identify with black, fine.  If  you're mixed but identify with your white culture, that is fine too.  However, at the end of the day, be yourself!  That was what I learned quick about my boss, she was not herself all of the time, however, I will give it to her, she knew her PR!  Nevertheless, I  couldn’t wait for her to take me under her wing and mold me.  Joke is on me, because she took 24 year old under her wing and looked at me like a tar baby.  

So, that was my office dynamic!  In the beginning, I was super excited, I have a black, well partially black boss and in a job I've been dying to have. Until I actually started working, and realized quick, 1. That black sista girl shit don’t always work with bi-racial people, 2. White girls will make you look like shit to your bi-racial boss if that means saving their ass.  3. If the client loves you and not them, they will do what it takes to destroy you.  Okay, #3 was a stretch, but it was certainly how I felt by the end of my adventures in the agency.  Oh yes, this will be  like a 3 part blog series because it gets real and I have battle wounds from working in that field.

So, when are you going to get to the actual McDonald’s stuff?  I will ….next time. Hey, don't be cussing me under your breath, a sista got things she doing and going through....I'll be back, promise!  :)


Next:  When the client loves you, your co-workers hate you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...