Skip to main content

Job Chronicles: Movement of the People!


"Open your eyes, and look within
Are you satisfied, with the life you're living
we know where we're going, 
we know where we're from, 
We're leaving Babylon, we're going to our Father's land" 
                                       -- Exodus, Bob Marley


I know I know,  some of ya’ll wanna fuss me out because I waited sooooo freaking long to put up the follow up blog.  I should be a shamed of myself for making ya’ll wait.  Nevertheless, I want to thank you all for being fans and tapping me on my shoulder like, “uh, girl, I know you’re in school, but you better get on your blog shit, pronto!”  lol 

When we last left off, my ass was being converted to being a dread head….Rastafari!  

I can't explain what being a Rasta really is, I'm not a Rastafarian, but let me tell you, after my stay in Jacksonville I was ready to let my head dread, roll a spliff and help with the movement of Jah’s people! 

Many of you who read my last blog was on edge as to what happened the night I was at my friend Tina’s house.  Well, we rolled up a corn roll and they brought me into their world. 

Picture it, dim lights, incense burning, and Natural Mystic playing in the background….kinda seductive if you think about it….or was this the ceremony of induction?  Either way, my naïve butt was there, on drugs, in a city I did not know anyone…obviously God, Jah, Jehovah, or whoever was watching over me because if I would have ended up on Nancy Grace, it would have been no one’s fault but my own.  But hey, that is why I have so many stories to tell…I’m adventurous. 

 To the Rasta's, The Emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie I is/was thought to be the returned Messiah.  Now dig this, the folks in Ethiopia did not claim this!! No, the people of Jamaica thought this, and here is the reason why.  Apparently, Haile Selassie's lineage claims that on his pappy's side, his great grandmother was direct a decedent of Queen Sheba and King Solomon.  In the bible, Psalms 68:31 it states "...Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hands unto God."   
 White people, no disrespect, but you do know they were black, I mean this was in AFRICA! 

Certainly not this BS right here ya'll tried to sell us, but Elizabeth Taylor is still a diva!


Now wait, it gets deeper...so when Haile Selassie became Emperor and news traveled to Jamaica that a descendant of King Solomon was now Emperor of Ethiopia, to the Jamaicans, this was as the bible predicted, he was the messiah reincarnate.  Holy blunt smoke batman! 

Wut u talkin bout, rudebwoy? <--- lol, that was my fake me out rasta impersonation.

Okay, so Haile Selassie's first name is Tafari, and "Ras" means "head" so put it together you have Ras Tafari...Rastafari...Rastafarian.  Get it?  Got it?  Good!  

Now, not all Rastafarians believe that Haile Selassie is the messiah returned, but they do believe of his lineage and therefore acknowledge him as a prophet.  But wait a minute, check this, Emperor Haile Selassie isn't a Rasta...no, he is a Christian!  Jesus, Mary, KC & Jo Jo!!! This is deep! 

Nevertheless, he respected the beliefs of the Rasta's because he of course felt everything they believed was in fact true: he was a descendant of David, he had lineage to Queen Sheeba, he was the new ruler of Ethiopia.  Now, of course things in history can get muddled, but he felt the plight of the Jamaican people, understood their respect for spirituality and he certainly felt that Bob Marley was in fact one of God's messengers, Bob Marley was the truth to him. lol, but seriously, I was taught that Rastafarian is not a religion; it is a belief and practice of principles.   

As for Bob Marley, he is believed to be a prophet (to the rasta’s—hell and me too) come to tell us of our future through song.  Listen to Bob’s lyrics, he is very conscious, and his music is timeless.  Nevertheless, he met Haile Selassie and he gave Bob Marley his ring, and this is very symbolic to the Rastafarian believers. 


See that ring on his finger ^ that is the ring I'm talking about.



Wow, I feel like smoking a spliff for that breakdown there. 

Now remember, this is all stuff I was taught nearly 10 years ago.  I'm not sure what is accurate or not...don't go around saying "yeah, I read Lisa's blog and she said Bob Marley is the Messaiah and he parted the Red Sea!"  No, Bob Marley did not part the Red Sea, it was Charlton Heston! (jokes)


So, that was my first night, of opening my mind to the world of Rastafarian.  Let me tell ya, I was sold!  The remainder of my stay, we would go to different Rasta events, and other friends of Tina and her husband…true Rasta’s who came from Jamaica and was breaking it all down.  They mixed in their beliefs with conspiracy theories about the United States, the government…. man, this was deeper than finding out Santa didn’t exist and there would never be another Jodeci album.

With all of this new knowledge, I was so excited to share it with my friends and family back home…or so I thought, until I realized, I needed to change my occupation and do something for the people, I mean that is what being a Rastafarian was about right, movement of the people!  Therefore, I put in my 60-day notice for my job, and started looking at non-profit jobs where I could help those who needed my humbled service.   

Well to my surprise, my job said “well Lisa, since your sales numbers in Seattle and Jacksonville are low, just forget the 60 day notice and don’t come back to duty next week.”  What?  Sales low in Seattle?  It was winter and I told you.  Sales low in Jacksonville, I’ve been here for 3 weeks.  So, was this their way of firing me?  See, CONspiracy had already started!  The MAN was trying to take me under when all I want to do was serve the people.  I did not have a back up job, (I was planning to find one within my 60 days), so guess what, they sent my ass back to Seattle without commission and my last paycheck.  I was HEATED!!!!  Rastafarian went out the door and good ole neck rolling, finger poppin “Oh hell to the naw” Lisa snapped right back!  I called unemployment, filed and told them they let me go without my commission check!  So, I got unemployment, and they sent my commission check. 

Yet, I was back in Seattle, no work, no place to live (gave my apartment up when I was in Memphis)…. on the unemployment line…. movement of Jah’s people huh?  

 Don’t get me wrong, I was still on my Rastafarian tip, but it slowed down like 89%.  To this day, I still believe that God is in us, that we must learn to live a disciplined life, eat food of the earth and believe in helping our own communities. #trayvonmartin


Up next:  Tales from the Hood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...