Skip to main content

Job Chronicles: Memphis is Pimpin

After the Tornado scared me to death, and soon as I was getting used to that midwest slang and groove, it was time to prepare for my next destination....Memphis Tennessee.

Beale Street...Memphis 

Just a little bit of "Lisa Facts" for you...my grandaddy, who many of you know, I TOTALLY LOVE, Levi S. Gardner.  Well, Mr. Gardner was raised in Memphis and as a child, I used to sit on the porch with him back in good ol Spokane and listen to him tell me stories of what it was like growing up as a black man in the south before civil rights.

You'd be surprise what you learn about your family, history and life in general if you just take the time to sit and talk with your elders....real talk.  (Shout out to my real talk peeps Vince, Dawn, Alicia, Wenya, Dre, Camisha, Ebonie, Jess, Jaeb, Sonja, Jerry, Michi, Boo, Twyla, Renee, Kym, Charlene, Jimaine, Lamont, and the newbies, ya'll keep a sista rollin)

Anyways, as I was saying, my granddaddy ALWAYS talked about Memphis, he LOVED Memphis, but hated the treatment of hard working black men, such as himself.  Stories of slow living, eating bologna and crackers for a nickle, and the overall southern hospitality, dialect, demeanor I learned from him.  Damn I miss him.  *tear*

 Baby Lisa is a dollbaby, too bad the pic is blurry!

So, you can imagine my excitement when I was going to be in Memphis for 60 days.  I was a bit sad that my grandfather was not alive to share this experience and excitement with me, but I knew he was with me.

I had high hopes for Memphis, and let me tell you, working for Sales Inc really put me in the right place....yep, right back in the hood.

The night that I arrive in Memphis, my orders were to check into a local hotel and then arrive to the property the following day.  I picked up my rental car, and to my surprise, it was a 2002 Monte Carlo.

Remember this was 2002, so to get a new Monte was kinda shocking, because in Indiana they had me in a small Pontiac Sunfire that was NOT Tornado proof!

Soon as I pulled out of the parking lot, I realized....okay, I see why I got a Monte Carlo, big cars in Memphis is what it is.  Caprice Classics, Old Buick's, Cadillacs, you know, pimp cars.  I mean, I ain't no pimp, but I am a pimp..., so I quickly got my head in the frame of mind of Memphis:

"Scene was so thick, low rides, seventy-seven Sevilles
El Dawgs, nuttin but them 'llacs
All the players, all the hustlers, i'm talking about
Black man heaven, yah know what i'm saying?" 
                                     
                                                                   -- OutKast Player's Ball


I get to the hotel where I was staying, it was located on Elvis Presley Blvd, the same street the property I would be staying was located.  What is crackin on EPB?  Not a damn thing.  I was expecting lights, camera, action on Elvis Presley Blvd. Matter of fact, EPB is so damn HOOD!  I was disgusted that Graceland was in the hood.  Why am I surprised, I mean Elvis did exploit and use the blueprint of rhythm & blues for all his albums...but as for Graceland hey, what can I say, the White House in the 80's & 90's was literally in the hood, so why wouldn't Graceland NOT be in the hood?!?!
 It's not all glamorous as one would think, a hyped up plantation.

I check into my hotel, and it wasn't a DoubleTree or even a Holiday Inn, it was like a Ramada, and if anyone has stayed at a Ramada, it's not made for family vacations, and certainly not the one in Memphis.  I get to my room, chill out, and then I figured I'd walk outside to get some air.  I look down off the balcony, I see two hoes and one pimp.  Now, I'm sure you all are asking, how do you know what a hoe and pimp looks like Lisa, you're so conservative?!?!  Yeah well, I make being from the streets look flawless! lol  No, but seriously, I'm a pimp by blood, not relation.
 that's right, get that dirt off ya shoulders Prez...for the haters, pimpin!

Okay enough of that...so I see the pimp look up at me, and I was thinking "oh hell nah."  But I kept my cool.  I mean I was in a real life Hustle & Flow scene and the movie hadn't even been created yet.  Good thing I read Icebook Slim's "Pimp" every true pimp (like me) needs to be put up on game at some point in their lives.
Anyways,  I walked down to the vending machine, and one of the "ladies of the night" said,
"hey suga, do you have a lite?"
I replied "no, I don't smoke, sorry." 
She gave me that "where you from look" by my non-southern accent.  I hurried and got my Pepsi and hurried my "soon to be on the stroll" ass to the room.  I've seen and heard a bunch of "recruitment stories"  and I don't think I could never ever have the "daddy I'm a prostitute" talk with my father.


So, I arrive to my "property" and let me tell you, HOOD, well in a plantation sort of way.  The land was HUGE, but man, these apartments were so section 8.  I was so pissed at the property, but I had a job to do.  The one thing I liked, the staff was all black, and very welcoming.


The manager, he kissed the property owners' butt, it reminded me of what it was probably really like before civil rights, because soon as white people came along, he changed his tune and got to shuckin' and jivin'.   The two regular leasing chicks were cool, one in particular, Crystal became my homegirl, and fast.  She showed me Memphis and even invited me home with her family for Thanksgiving.  We'll get to that later.

Of course, because I am such a doll, the maintenance men were very fond of me, and you know I have such a cool and laid back demeanor, it was easy for them to chat me up everyday when they came through.  Two in particular would always have the raps for me, but of course, I had to let em know, I could fratrenize with the staff like that.

Donald, he was the lead maintenance man, cool as I don't know what.  My man looked like Big Red from the Five Heartbeats, but he didn't act crazy like that mo fo! lol

Anyways, he and I would chop it up about how he had never been out of Memphis, how his daddy had 12 kids, by 10 different women and only he and his sister shared the same momma.  Donald showed me where the good BBQ was, we'd go for Sonic runs.  Oh, wait, time out, some of ya'll don't know, I have a LOVE for Sonic and being that Seattle doesn't have a Sonic, I would hit that Sonic in Memphis up on a regular.
 Cherry Limeade's oohhwee, love em!

Anyways, Donald and I became real cool.  When the movie Hustle & Flow did finally come out, Terrance Howard reminded me of Donald so much, it made me like the movie even more.   I didn't have a thing for Donald, but have you ever met a human and you just like their spirit?  He was like that hood homeboy that put you up on game and look out for you like a big brother.  He told me about the real Memphis, the poverty, the perseverance, the pimpin, the struggle...but most importantly, the dignity and pride of being from the south.  I had nothing but respect for that. You know, it's not always where you've been, but the people you meet along the way.

So far, Memphis was looking to be a great time, aside from living in hood elements, the people were cool, the food was good....and then, it was time to hit the clubs....and in the south....oh boy...

Next: too much booty on the floor, too many Cadillacs and niggas drinking cognac-- Memphis pt 2

Comments

  1. Wow, after reading this I feel like I really visited Memphis... The whole depiction of the atmosphere and aura was so clear. Well written Lisa. What always drew me to Memphis was listening to Eightball and MJG. ... and thank God for Iceberg slim books- it's the only way a unsuspecting female from Spokane, WA like me could have ever gotten put up on game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your writing style. I am laughing all the way through. I have to subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for subscribing and laughing...I'm silly, but my life has been a mess. As you can see these are job chronicles, I've had over 33 jobs, so I figured I'd write about them. Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I’m not sensitive, you’re an A%$hole.

I hate Facebook.  Since 2008 when I joined, I’ve always hated it—Twitter was my first “super” social site and is currently my favorite.  I say “super” social sites because we won’t count AOL Voices, Black Planet, and Myspace (may they rest in peace), but these “super” social sites have IPO’s—yes, I have stock in Twitter since it is my favorite social site.  But I didn’t come on here to talk about social site preferences, but rather the content. In the last few days, Facebook has erupted with adorable (and not so adorable) photos of Daughter/Son appreciation.  Those who are childless have had the luxury of looking at the photos shared, whereas some (like me) scroll right past all the photos only stopping at what incites us.  So, the asshole part, okay, I’m getting to it.  Let me put this out there for those who may have sensitivities to my delivery, approach, or candor. This isn't a blog to negate parenting or complain about a post, but instead, the son/dau...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40

I know, it’s been a year since I’ve blogged, and honestly, I was avoiding the very thing that brings me joy—I don’t know why.   I won’t go into the self-evaluation of my fears of failure; I’ll save that for another blog in 20-never.  But it is 2:21am July 11th, and I am going through some shit, thus the writing.  Who knows when and IF I will ever publish this tho....if I do, please excuse any typos, missed words, fucked up grammar...I mean, damn, I'm a writer, not an editor.  So, I am writing this after having a real conversation with a “friend” about our “friendship.”    For the first time in my life, I’m avoiding a relationship. If I'm honest, I'm avoiding a new relationship based on unresolved soul-ties I have with other men lingering in the universe.   Now, before you hop on your Judge Judy stand and start to judge/lecture me about “letting go,” my issue with the unresolved isn’t really that I am holding on to them…they...

I'm too old for this! Dating over 40 Part IV

Distant lover, lover (lover, lover, lover) So many miles away Heaven knows that I long for you Every night, every night I plan, sometimes I dance Through the day Distant lover (lover, lover, lover) You should think about me And say a prayer for me Please, please baby Think about me sometimes Think about me here Here in misery Misery As I reminisce, oh baby, through our joyful summer together The promises we made All the daily letters Then, all of the sudden Everything seemed to explode Now, I gaze out my window Sugar, down a lonesome road ----Mr. Marvin Gaye                          I'm a Virgo; therefore I can be rather particular.   Some call it “bougie” I like to call it preference.   I have a lot of "particulars" such as;  I dislike small talk.   I hate it with a PASSION! ...